Theodor Weisser’s founding of Marquard & Bahls in 1947 marked a milestone for Mabanaft as well, because it all began with the physical oil trading. In the beginning, we were a domestic trading company, and nobody could have guessed that today we would be one of the largest independent oil companies in the world…
Marquard & Bahls was founded in 1913 by Franz von Marquard (commercial registration 06.05.1914). On the 19.10.1919 the business became a partnership when Otto Rudolf Julius Bahls joined the ranks. The partnership processed and sold lubricating oil. However, by the end of the war Messrs Marquard & Bahls had both passed away and Mr Isenbart bought the abandoned company from their heirs.
1945 Theodor Weisser returned from the war and, like many others, faced a new beginning. He had a position with Shell before the war. But when he returned to Hamburg the position was occupied. This situation eventually led to him becoming self-employed. The company that he bought, Marquard & Bahls, was then merely a shell. The most important thing was, Marquard & Bahls still had a production licence, an export licence and a trading permit. This enabled Theodor Weisser to set up new companies both at home and abroad.
An office was available on the Kattrepelsbrücke. The shell company costed 70,000 Reichsmark (RM). Theodor Weisser himself possessed 8,000 RM, and after lengthy negotiations with Mr Isenbart and Mr Recht, they agreed on a sale price of 20,000 RM and that the profit would be paid out to Messrs Isenbart and Recht until the sum of 70,000 RM was reached. The remaining 12,000 RM were borrowed.